The Best Destination in the U.S. for an Unforgettable Weekend Trip
Whether you are looking for a quick getaway with your family, friends, or significant other, these five destinations in the U.S. make for the perfect weekend getaway spots.
Let’s get right into our list of the top 5 weekend getaway destinations!
New Orleans, Louisiana
I think for most people when they think of New Orleans, their first thought is the city where Mardi Gras happens and that it is one big party all the time. While Mardi Gras is one of the biggest festivals in the USA, it’s not going on all year! And even when it’s not Mardi Gras, New Orleans has so much more to offer including delicious eats and rich history.
Let’s dive a little deeper into what you can do in New Orleans on a weekend getaway.
Top Things to Do in New Orleans:
- The French Quarter: The French Quarter is the heart of New Orleans and a must-visit during a trip to New Orleans. The neighborhood is beautifully equipped with cobblestone streets, beautiful fountains, and incredible artwork.
- Cemetery Tours: Though it may be a bit creepy for some, one of the highlights of New Orleans are its cemeteries. The older cemeteries are more run down and even falling apart in some aspects but they are so interesting to see. Plus, some of New Orleans’ most famous and historic figures are buried in these cemeteries you may see on a tour.
- St Louis Cathedral: The St Louis Cathedral is the oldest cathedral in North America and its sight is absolutely breathtaking. There are still religious services held in addition to other events. Even if you don’t want to attend a service, you’re welcome to walk around the church and admire its beauty.
- New Orleans Pharmacy Museum: New Orleans is filled with incredible museums but one that is uniquely interesting is the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum. Here you will discover the history of medicine and pharmaceuticals. It is incredible to see how far medicine has come throughout the year and how it continues to advance.
Nashville is known to be a perfect getaway spot for girls trips and bachelorette parties. However, this city has so much to offer for all types of travelers. Nashville is an ideal destination for anyone that enjoys and good time and, of course, country music.
Top Things to Do in Nashville:
- Grand Ole Opry: The Grand Ole Opry is famous in the world of Country Music and it is an absolute must-stop when visiting Nashville. Be sure to stop by and go for a tour that will allow you to see the history of the Grand Ole Opry and give you a behind-the-scenes look at just what it takes to put on those incredible shows that you see from some of your favorite Country Music artists.
- The Johnny Cash Museum: Johnny Cash is one of the most famous names in Country Music, and you can learn more about his life and career at this museum in Nashville. You’ll see artifacts and memorabilia from the artist plus exhibits showcasing different time periods in Cash’s life.
- Country Music Hall of Fame: If you are a fan of country music, the Country Music Hall of Fame is an absolute must-stop. Here you will find exhibits highlighting some of Country Music’s most legendary artists including Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, and of course the King himself, Elvis Presley.
- Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge: If you’re looking for a little time to unwind while you enjoy some food and entertainment, Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge is the perfect place to do that. Here you will find some of the most incredible musical performances by locals. And who knows — maybe you will see the early performance of an up-and-coming country music star.
—> Also Read: Ultimate Guide for Romantic Trips in the South
Seattle is a beautiful city filled with so many incredible things to do. Seattle is known for its devote sports fans (NFL’s Seattle Seahawks, MLB’s Seattle Mariners, NHL’s Seattle Kraken, and the Seattle Sounders FC). Seattle is also home to a thriving arts and culture scene, a diverse offering of museums, and incredible natural beauty framed by Puget Sound, Lake Washington, and multiple mountain ranges.
Top Things to Do in Seattle:
- Space Needle: The Seattle Space Needle is probably the most well-known attraction of the city. Standing at 605 feet tall, it is easy to spot from all over the city. Take a quick 45-second elevator up to the observation level and enjoy the beautiful sights of Seattle.
- Museum of Pop Culture: If you are someone that enjoys pop culture this is the museum for you. This museum explores the history of music, science, fiction, video games, and more. You can also learn more about some of Washington’s most famous icons, such as Nirvana and the Seattle Seahawks.
- Seattle Aquarium: The Aquarium is the perfect spot for a family trip or even just for those that enjoy underwater wildlife. Here they have a multitude of species to see including fish, octopus, and sea otters. The aquarium is located right above Puget Sound so you might even see some of their animals, like Harbor Seals (or orcas if you’re very lucky!), in their natural habitat.
—> Also Read: Local’s Guide for How to Spend One Day in Seattle
Las Vegas, Nevada
Las Vegas is an excellent spot for a quick weekend getaway trip. Because there are so many things to do in Vegas, it’s easy to fill a weekend and have a fulfilling vacation in such a short period of time.
Top Things to Do in Las Vegas:
- Casinos: Obviously, casinos are located all throughout Las Vegas. They can be a fun way to occupy some of your time. All of the major resorts along the strip (and even beyond) have casinos on the main level. Some of my favorite places to gamble in Vegas for the atmosphere are the Bellagio, Paris, and the Venetian.
- Shows: Again, there are SO many shows available to you in Vegas, there is no way we could pick just one! A few popular options include Cirque du Soleil, Magic Shows, and Artist Residency Concerts.
- Adventuredome Theme Park: If you are looking for a sense of adventure, don’t miss out on the Adventuredome Theme Park. Located at Circus Circus resort, this indoor theme park features 25 rides and attractions for visitors to enjoy right by the Strip.
—> Also Read: Girls Getaway Tips for Las Vegas
Boston is an incredibly historic city and the perfect destination for those that enjoy learning about history and attending attractions such as museums and historic locations. Not to mention, Boston is home to some of the most loved sports teams in the US including the MLB’s Boston Red Sox and the NBA’s Boston Celtics.
Top Things to Do in Boston:
- Attend a Sporting Event: Depending on the time of year that you visit, a sporting event may be a great way to spend part of your vacation. Check out a Celtics or Red Sox game; the vibe at Fenway Park is unforgettable.
- The Freedom Trail: This trail is a 3-mile-long path that will lead you through 16 historic Boston locations that played a huge role in Boston’s Colonial and Revolutionary History. Some of these famous locations include Park Street Church, Old Granary Burying Ground, and the Paul Revere House.
- Harvard Square and University: Harvard University is notably of the most recognizable Ivy League schools in America and visiting it and adjacent Harvard Square is an incredible experience. It is such a cool experience to simply walk around and enjoy the architecture and landscaping. Not to mention, Harvard Square also has some incredible dining and shopping in the area that is a must-check out.
—> Also Read: Fun and Historic 1-Day Itinerary for Boston
Have Fun On Your Weekend Getaway!
If you are wanting to embark on a weekend adventure but can’t pick the perfect destination spot, I hope that one of these cities will make for a good choice for you. We included a variety of options whether you are looking for a more exciting and party-vibe vacation spot or perhaps a more cultured and educational experience.